Monday, November 2, 2009

Call of the Blog

My blog, she is calling me! It's been too long, and as much as I would like to kick back and watch TV (with the remote all mine since Darren is on nights. What am I saying? The remote is always mine!), I can't help but want to write an entry.

Here is an update on the boys.

Bowen

Bowen is growing up to be the most gentle, sensitive little boy. He is eager to get older, every morning he wakes up and asks if he is four yet. I think he is after the presents! According to preschool he is entirely on track with his development school-wise, he knows his numbers, and is slowly learning his alphabet. He is only just starting to get an interest in it, but his teachers assure me that that is totally normal. He has a memory like an elephant, constantly reminding me of things I would rather he forget (bribes, for example!) and things he has done. We went to Forster to visit the in-laws in January, and yet he still talks about the boat, and the beach, and can't wait to go back again.

I am a bit worried his sensitive nature might cause him some problems at big school, and make him a target for bullies. We are hoping that Karate will help him gain some confidence, he's a blue belt already, and I tell him how special and important he is all the time.

Riordan

Riordan is Jekyll and Hyde at the moment. One second he is an absolute joy, affectionate, cuddly, covering me in kisses. The next he is biting his brother ("Bite you") and having a hissy fit on the floor. He's the typical toddler that I missed out on with his older brother. He still looks like an angel, his big blue eyes and gently curling, blonde hair just bewitch everyone. He has an impish look in his eye all the time, and you can just see him plotting his next adventure.

He adores his brothers, but I think that he finds it hard to express his emotions in a way that is pleasant for everyone. He'll drown Bowen in cuddles and kisses, and then the next moment sink his teeth in. He's the same with Austin, I truly thought that after four months the novelty of having a baby brother would have worn off, but he still thinks he is the best thing ever. It's a constant battle for me to keep him from hurting Austi with his love, and any time that the baby is left alone, in Riordy's reach, he's all over him. I wonder if he'll feel the same when he starts to crawl, and pinches all his toys!

Riordan is right on track with his development. He is really starting to talk so other people can understand him, and is stringing words together. He's Mr Independent, and always going to the fridge to try and pour his own milk! Toilet training is coming along, I'm still taking it slowly, we haven't seriously ventured anywhere with just undies on, but at home he will use the potty or go outside. Mum manages to get him to poo in the toilet, but I haven't had a success with that for ages. He will hold his poo until he gets a nappy on, and if you ask him while he's going, he just gets grumpy at you. I can hardly rip the nappy off and force him onto the potty, so we'll just wait.

Austin

Ahhh. He's just gorgeous. He is big and happy and just beautiful. I have to say, I really would prefer it if he slept some more. The great day sleeps we were getting have disappeared and he's never slept more than 2 hours straight at night. I'm almost at my wit's end, but for someone who basically has a baby attached to her nipple for at least 8 hours a night, I am reasonably rested. I've been trying to deal with his sleep issues, but the size of our house, and the fact that I have two other children who need to do things, and hence have to have their little brother woken all the time, do nothing but hinder me. The poor soul barely gets to sleep before I have to wake him to pick someone up, or take someone somewhere. No wonder he's forgotten how to sleep. I don't know whether I want to go to someone external for help, or to plug along until we move house and things settle down.

Developmentally he's right on target. He's putting on tonnes of weight still, is smiley and almost laughing, holds his head up really well, and is rolling onto his side. He loves his boob and is thriving on it, hates dummies, no matter how hard I try to get some relief for my poor nipples, and is yet to really have a bottle. Apart from the sleeping, he's the perfect baby!

Everything else

I am doing fine. I still feel jubbly around the belly, but I bought a pair of size 9 jeans on Saturday, so I can't be doing too bad. I also got a heavenly dress for my sister's wedding, I'm a bridesmaid but we didn't want something too 'bridesmaidy', if you know what I mean, so we bought these divine blue dresses, halter neck with floaty ruffles on the skirt. It really suits the beach setting, and make both I and the other bridesmaid look hot! I just wish I could wear it to my work Christmas party. I've also sent away my application to study next year. I've decided not to do teaching (not sure I already mentioned that) and am going to do conveyancing by distance instead. Mum will still do her half days, and then have the boys for a couple of hours of an afternoon while I study. I am really looking forward to it.

The cooling off period for our house finally finished today, we settle on the 27th of January. It seems like forever away, but we still have to sell our house, so the further away the better. We have our Property Launch this Saturday, and the other recent ones have been going really well, so we are hoping ours will too. We are going to Luna Park for the day (work kids Christmas Party), so at least I will have a distraction.

Phew, that makes me feel a little better. I really need to post some photos (I have some gorgeous ones trapped on my phone), but I promise to do that soon.

No comments: